Home Page blank GreenSquare Group blank Accessibility page
Rent payment, benefits, and debt advice blank Garages for rentblank Repairs and Maintenance Noticeboard blank Planned maintenance blank Helping hand service blank Helping hand garden service blank What is asbestos?
Immediately available lettings blank How to apply for housing blank Low-cost home ownership blank Right to buy/Acquire blank Mutual exchange blank Help and support blank Over-55s accommodation and services blank Existing shared ownersblank Home adaptations blank Fraud initiative blank Preparing for bad weather
Getting Involved blank Residents' Forum blank Resident Scrutiny Panel blank Resident training blank Disability Forum blank Your Neighbourhood & Communities blank Neighbourhood walkabouts blank Street look-up blank Refurbished electrical goods blank Youth Work project blank Partnerships
Comments and Complaints blank Complaints report blank Antisocial behaviour
Our Service Standards blank Standards for empty homes on relet blank Neighbourhood Standards blank Our Performance
About us
blank Contact/location details blank Who's who blank Leaflets and publications blank News indexblank Jobs at GreenSquareblank Frequently-asked questionsblank Our communities

Find us on Facebook blank Follow us on Twitter blank Links to other sites blank Site map

Please be aware that GreenSquare may record any incoming or outgoing telephone calls as part of our commitment to provide excellent customer service.

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

You are here: Home > Home adaptations

Did you know that we can help you make changes (called adaptations) to your home if you or someone else who lives there needs them because of a disability?

If this is something you need, the steps are as follows:

Step 1

You should contact Wiltshire Council’s Adult Social Care Team on 0300 456 0111 if you live in the Wiltshire area.

Wiltshire Adult Social Care has a team of friendly customer advisors who can help you to make informed decisions and choices about your social care and support needs. They will always try to help you to be as independent as possible and to stay in your own home.

The customer advisor will ask you to provide some basic information about yourself, your disability, and what you need.

They will use their skills and experience, together with professional support, to advise you on what to do next or tell you about groups or organisations that may be able to help.

Step 2

If they feel that you might need an adaptation, they will pass on your case to the appropriate social care team and arrange an appointment for you with a customer coordinator or an occupational therapist (OT), who will visit you at home to assess your needs.

Step 3

If the OT says that you need an adaptation, they will refer your details to Wiltshire Council. who will tell you whether you are likely to receive a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG). Wiltshire Council will need to look at your income to decide whether you will get a grant. These grants are to pay for adaptations such as level access showers, over-bath showers, kitchen alterations, stair lifts, vertical lifts, ramps, and sometimes even extensions.

Step 4

If you need help with the application for a grant, you can choose to use Westlea as your agent, to arrange the adaptation work for you. If you would prefer someone else to be your agent, Wiltshire Council can advise you.

Step 5

Staff from Wiltshire Council, Westlea (if we are your agent), and the OT will then visit you at your home. You can ask a relative or friend to come to this meeting. Your agent will discuss the work needed and help you with the formal grant application, including preparation of drawings and schedules and all necessary paperwork.

Step 6

When the grant is approved, your agent will arrange for a contractor to carry out the work. When the work is finished, your agent will arrange for the contractor to be paid from the grant money.

What if I don’t qualify for a grant?

Westlea has some money to pay for:

Except for the small adaptations, you will need a note from your doctor or OT to say that you need them. There is a set amount of money each year, and it will be given out on a first-come, first-served basis.

If you are having difficulty, or live outside of the Wiltshire Council area, we will do everything we can to help you. To talk to someone, please phone Shirley Davis or Jo Taylor on 01249 466061.

If the request is for adaptations for a disabled child, please contact your local Children’s Disability Team:

West Wiltshire
Phone: 01225 752198

North and East Wiltshire
Phone: 01249 444321

South Wiltshire
Phone: 01722 327551

Click here to download a copy of this leaflet in PDF format.

Tools are available on the Adobe website to help users access the contents of PDF documents.