Home Page blank GreenSquare Group blank Accessibility page
Rent payment, benefits, and debt advice blank Garages for rentblank Repairs and Maintenance Noticeboard blank Planned maintenance blank Helping hand service blank Helping hand garden service blank What is asbestos?
Immediately available lettings blank How to apply for housing blank Low-cost home ownership blank Right to buy/Acquire blank Mutual exchange blank Help and support blank Over-55s accommodation and services blank Existing shared ownersblank Home adaptations blank Fraud initiative blank Preparing for bad weather
Getting Involved blank Residents' Forum blank Resident Scrutiny Panel blank Resident training blank Disability Forum blank Your Neighbourhood & Communities blank Neighbourhood walkabouts blank Street look-up blank Refurbished electrical goods blank Youth Work project blank Partnerships
Comments and Complaints blank Complaints report blank Antisocial behaviour
Our Service Standards blank Standards for empty homes on relet blank Neighbourhood Standards blank Our Performance
About us
blank Contact/location details blank Who's who blank Leaflets and publications blank News indexblank Jobs at GreenSquareblank Frequently-asked questionsblank Our communities

Find us on Facebook blank Follow us on Twitter blank Links to other sites blank Site map

Please be aware that GreenSquare may record any incoming or outgoing telephone calls as part of our commitment to provide excellent customer service.

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

You are here: Home > Mutual Exchange

What is a mutual exchange?
A mutual exchange is when you swap your home with:

You can do this when you want to move to another area or a different property. Both landlords need to approve your exchange before it can happen.

What happens to my tenancy?
To exchange properties, you have to give up your current tenancy and take over the tenancy of the person that you are exchanging with. This is called an assignment of tenancy.

This means that you take on the other person’s rights and responsibilities. You should check what type of tenancy the other person has so that you can see if it is different to yours. If they have the same type of tenancy, your rights may stay the same. If they have a different one the exchange may not be approved, or your rights may change.

How do I find someone to exchange with?
Use the ‘HomeSwapper’ register on the internet at www.homeswapper.co.uk. The site provides a listing of all the homes available for exchange across the whole country.

You can also view a printed version of all the properties that have signed on to ‘HomeSwapper’ in our reception area at our Methuen Park office

You can also:


To exchange properties, you have to give up your current tenancy and take over the tenancy of the person that you are exchanging with. This is called an assignment of tenancy.

How do I get on the mutual exchange list?
You will need to register with the ‘HomeSwapper’ – on the internet at www.homeswapper.co.uk – which covers both the local area and whole country. Westlea residents can sign up free of charge. There may be a short delay while Homeswapper checks we are your landlord.

What happens when I find someone to exchange with?
You must visit the property that you want to move into (exchange with). It is important that you do this, because you take it over in the condition that you see it. However, we will carry out the standard repairs that we must do as your landlord.

If you are happy with it and both of you still want the exchange to go ahead, you should both fill in a mutual exchange form. You can get one of these by calling your Neighbourhood Housing Team or printing one from our website.
Each household will need to complete the application form providing as much information as possible. Once you have filled in your application form, you should return it to your Neighbourhood Housing Team. If you are hoping to move to another landlord’s property, you will still need to complete this form.

It is illegal for you to give any money or to receive any money from anyone else involved in the swap. If you do this, you could lose your home.

What happens next?
We must agree or refuse permission for your mutual exchange within 42 days of receiving your request to exchange. There are a number of things that we will do during this time – some of them are:

We will then write to you and tell you if can exchange or not. If agreed and there is a gas supply to your home, a gas safety check will have to be arranged through Westlea. We need at least two weeks notice.

Why wouldn't you get permission?
Some of the legal reasons your exchange can be refused are:

When can I move?
We will write to you to give you permission for the exchange to go ahead. After that we will agree the date for your move. You will need to sign a deed of assignment to show that you agree to the swap. We will arrange a meeting somewhere convenient (either at our offices or somewhere nearer to you) for you to do this. Once you have done this, you can move in.

Do I have to pay for removal costs?
Yes, you have to pay all the costs of moving house (for example, hiring a removal van and buying boxes).

What if I move and find problems with the other property?
It is very important you visit the property before the exchange to make sure you are happy with the condition of it.

We will only carry out repairs that are our responsibility as your landlord (for example, repairs to heating or hot water). Westlea would have sent you a copy of the inspection report with a letter highlighting any items and repair works that are not our responsibility. You accept the property in the condition you see it in, and take it over on the date that your new tenancy starts. You are responsible for:

If you are not sure which repairs you would have to do, please contact your neighbourhood housing team for advice.

Who do I contact for help and advice?
Please call your Neighbourhood Housing Team for more information.

Call 01249 466130 (North Team) if you live in the following areas:
Cricklade, Wootton Bassett, Swindon, Malmesbury, Calne, and surrounding villages.

Call 01249 466130 (North Team) if you live in the following areas: Cricklade, Wootton Bassett, Swindon, Malmesbury, Calne, and surrounding villages.

Click here to download a PDF version of this information.

Click here to download the Mutual Exchange application form.

Click here to download the Property Information sheet.

Cick here for more information about the stages of the Mutual Exchange process.